Rappville

Information about Rappville

Wiki source

The district in which Rappville is situated was initially developed by European settlers for cattle grazing (for example the very extensive Wooroowoolga Station) and forestry (first, cedar getting, then other species) from the 1840s onwards; to these rural industries was added dairying, which became an important component from the 1860s for almost the next 100 years . Initially, rural products were transported by road and the network of navigable rivers, however in 1903 the small but growing North Coast railway line reached Casino and two years later was extended south to Grafton. A sawmiller named John Murray established his sawmill by the new railway in an area initially called Murray's Siding, to exploit both the local supply of timber and the onward rail connections first to Casino and thence to the then inland port town of Lismore, sited at the highest navigable point of an arm of the Richmond (later renamed Wilsons) River. It appears that whole logs were also loaded for downstream milling, as may be judged by the following item appearing in the Sydney Morning Herald for 15 November 1906: